[one-users] LVM / shared datastores running OS inside a USB stick

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu Jul 24 01:49:17 PDT 2014

Hi Pablo,

LVM provides a few advantages in some scenarios, but generally a shared
file system like NFS fits more uses cases.

In a nutshell the difference between these two datastores is:
* lvm: images are registered into LV. When a VM is instantiated, the LV is
cloned to another LV in the same VG. The drawback is that it takes up a lot
of space
* fs_lvm: images are stored as files. When a VM is instantiated, the file
is dumped into an LV in the VG with the name vg-one-<system_ds_id>

In either case, the system datastore is a file-based datastores:. Take a
look at the table in this section:
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.6/administration/storage/sm.html#planning-your-storage
Only shared and ssh can be system datastores (and vmfs for VMware).

cheers,
Jaime

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Pablo Hinojosa Nava <pablohn6 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I have rent a single dedicated server with OVH and I run the OS inside a
> USB stick. While I am setting up the datastores I cannot use LVM datastore
> driver (fs_lvm) to system datastore, so the default system datastore is on
> the USB stick. Which combination of types should I use for system, images
> and files datastores? I am having problems mixing system shared datastores
> with images fs_lvm datastores. How should I make the partitions to have a
> good configuration? all shared with partitions? mixed (lvm + partitions)?
> all LVM (would be possible?)? is fs_LVM much better than shared?
>
> Cheers,
>

> Pablo Hinojosa.
> PabloHinojosa.is
> <http://pablohinojosa.is/this?utm_source=firma&utm_medium=correo&utm_campaign=firma>