[one-users] Using OpenNebula for Linux desktops

Carlo Daffara carlo.daffara at cloudweavers.eu
Mon Jan 27 08:00:29 PST 2014

There are several things you can do to improve basic performance. First of all, if you use SPICE as a protocol use QXL as the KVM video card, it will provide a substantial
speedup (the emulated video card will be much more intelligent and the job of protocol compression will be much simpler). Then, IO speedup is the second low-hanging fruit. We
use aio=native, and this alone substantially increases io rates. The next step depend on the kind of datastore you use- NFS, an external SAN, etc. If you can provide some additional details I can give some more options. For example, for machines that require high random R/W we use cache=none as it does decrease double buffering, thus improving performance.
You can use iotop on the machine that executes the KVM process to check how much does it write, and why.
In our tests, using OpenNebula on top of the MFS distributed filesystem we easily get VDI performance near to that of the hardware with limited tuning.
regards,
carlo daffara
CloudWeavers