[one-users] Setting up IPv6..

Stefan Kooman stefan at bit.nl
Mon Jan 27 03:59:02 PST 2014

Quoting David (david at hexsrc.com):
> How do you do it? The documentation is baffling for people new to
> IPv6.Like where do I get the site prefix of my address? global? what's
> the difference between them? Do I use the MAC address in ifconfig? If
> I have a /64 is my network size 64?  What do I do? How do I set this
> up correctly?

Site Prefix is actually a thing from the past and should be (re-)named
(to) "Unique Local Address" (ULA). ULA space is quite a bit larger dan
site local space (/7 versus /10) so there not even the same. See [1] for
more info. This space is not often used and not globally routable.
Global prefix is the prefix for routeable IPv6 space. Your
networkadministrator /internet service provider has probably given you a
/48 or a /64 wich you can use for your hosts. /48 space is normally
divided into 2^16 (65536) /64 networks. You might see the /64 as the IPv6 variant of "/24"
of IPv4.
Be careful deploying IPv6 though. A soon as hosts have IPv6 connectivity
make sure you've got firewall's in place, check that services running on
top of the vm's are configured correctly, etc. etc. incl. PTR's for your
mail hosts. Google is denying mail sent from ipv6 hosts which dont't have
a valid PTR set ... for example.

Gr. Stefan

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address