[one-users] Run the VM on another data center

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Fri Jan 17 08:30:59 PST 2014

OpenNebula does not have any feature that eases this VM migration.
Moreover, a suspended VM have some fixed information that may make it
behave incorrectly or even unable to run in other installation:

  * The checkpoint has the disk locations hardcoded. The images should
be in the very same path in the new cluster.
  * Bridge name is also written in the checkpoint file, it should
exist in the new cluster hosts.
  * IP is already configured in the saved VM. You will probably have
to reconfigure it after the VM is running.
  * The checkpoint file is specific for each hypervisor. It could
happen that a checkpoint made in one version of the hypervisor is not
compatible with a different version of such hypervisor.
  * Different CPUs can also make the VM crash or run erratically.

To do this migration I think it is better to save the disks of the VM,
import them in the new OpenNebula and create a new one.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Vlad Mirel <vlad.mirel at outlook.com> wrote:
> I have installed and configured two OpenNebula data centres (A and B).
>
> I have successfully created and run a VM on A. Next I suspended it, at which
> point its checkpoint was created. Resuming the VM also works.
>
> My question is, given the suspended VM from A and its checkpoint, how can I
> run it from B (deploy on one of B's hosts + resume)?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Javier Fontán Muiños
Developer
www.OpenNebula.org | @OpenNebula | github.com/jfontan