[one-users] AppMarket 2.0 Beta (1.9.80) release

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org
Tue Feb 4 10:15:22 PST 2014

Jaime Melis <jmelis at opennebula.org> writes:

> Dear community,

Hello,

> we are pleased to announce the release of AppMarket 2.0 Beta:
> http://opennebula.org/appmarket-2-0-beta-1-9-80/

I discuss with some colleagues used to some very expensive proprietary
software, I gather their needs to study the opportunity to switch part
of their infrastructure to ONE.

What they call “catalogue” is very important to them and they have a
use-flow based on it, I'm preparing some redmine requests but I take the
opportunity of this thread to ask some questions.

NB: I do not setup an AppMarket yet.

> This release brings many new goodies to the AppMarket:
>
> AppMarket
>
> - Multi-image Appliances: AppMarket Appliances can now have multiple disks,
> which creates new possibilities to upload and register more complex and
> feature complete Appliances.

Does this mean we can store and distribute a complete OneFlow service?

Is there a way to clearly identify and group appliances by version, like:

- one entry per appliance
- one sub-entry per appliance version, with some sorting newest
  first/last

I'm wondering about storage size, does AppMarket use the same storage as
ONE or the disks are copied from ONE to AppMarket?

I do not see clearly what is the storage requirement and how things get
together between AppMarket/ONE/Sunstone.

> - Sunstone Import: users will be able to import registered Appliances to
> OpenNebula via Sunstone by using pre-filled Image and Template creation
> forms.
>
> - Sunstone Views: two new Sunstone views: an AppMarket *admin* view, that
> allows full control of the AppMarket, and a *user* view, that allows end
> users to import registered appliances.

In the documentation “Create an Appliance”[1], we must provide “the URLs
of the files and the OpenNebula template in the Appliance creation
form”.

Is there a way to push appliances from ONE/Sunstone, I read “From
AppMarket 2.0 creating an appliance can be also done through the
AppMarket tab in Sunstone”.

Providing a new VM/OneFlow action “Store in AppMarket” could be
great ;-)

> AppMarket Worker
>
> A new horizontally-scalable component that subscribes to the AppMarket and
> executes jobs. It enhances the AppMarket functionality by adding:
>
> - OVA processing: If a URL to an OVA package is supplied, the AppMarket
> will be able completely process it and integrate it to its repository. This
> involves: downloading and unpacking of the OVA package, parsing of the OVF
> file and creating a corresponding OpenNebula template.
>
> - Format conversion: appliances registered in a specific format, can be
> converted to a new format.
>
> - Extensibility: All the operations described above are implemented within
> the framework of an extensible driver engine, which allows further
> customization and integration by the administrators.

Great feature, many thanks to Produban for funding.

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/OpenNebula/addon-appmarket/blob/master/doc/usage.md#create-an-appliance-user

--