[one-users] Typical OverProvisioning Ratio - Question

Malathi Latha Morthala coolmalathi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 03:36:35 PST 2014

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could please help me with the following query.

Consider a Xeon 8 core processor with hyper-threading and say I have two of them.
That gives me 8*2=16 cores, with hyper-threading I could treat this as 16*2=32 cores ie., 32 vcpu.

Now as we know, most people would not allocate one vcpu to one user, given that not everyone would be using the cpu to the fullest at the same time.
I wonder, what would be a good Overprovisioning ratio that we could use which would result in optimum usage of resources. Would it be 1:4 OR 1:8 or 1:16 or 1:2 or something else.

Really looking forward to inputs on the same.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Regards,
Malathi