[one-users] Automatic recover from hardware failure

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Thu Aug 14 07:20:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Johan Kooijman <mail at johankooijman.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm almost finished setting up the POC for ONE so far. One last piece I
> can't really figure out is how to recreate VM's on a different host in case
> a host fails, like hardware off the grid.
> How would I do such a thing?

You can enable the fault tolerance hook in oned.conf [1]. This hook will
perform the onevm delete --recreate action on the VMs of the failed host.
To avoid false positives because of network connectivity issues, use the -p
flag of the hook.

The delete-recreate action will create a new VM from the original template.
This means that the VM will have a new ID, IP, and clean disks.
We are working on a new mechanism for hosts with shared storage, to
"migrate" the failed VM to a new host keeping the current IPs, disk state,
etc.

Regards

[1]
http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/advanced_administration/high_availability/ftguide.html