[one-users] Xen4 issues with nic-attach and ebtables vnm driver

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Wed Aug 13 02:11:57 PDT 2014

Hi Jorge,

this is due to a bug in OpenNebula that has been fixed in 4.8.

You have apply this change in /var/lib/one/remotes/vnm/OpenNebulaNetwork.rb:

-  :xm       => "sudo xm",
+  :xm       => "sudo xl",

And remember to update the hosts with:
onehost sync --force

cheers,
Jaime

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Jorge Calás Lozano <calas at speedyrails.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are testing opennebula 4.6 with xen4 drivers on debian 7 servers, it
> looks really great. We created our own storage drivers to match our
> current setup, we did it using ruby and they are working great so far.
>
> We are now testing the network drivers as well as adding/removing
> nics/ips to a running vm.
>
> In our current setup we add ip aliases to the vm's eth0 nic and add some
> ebtables rules on the hypervisor host. How is this supposed to be done
> in opennebula?
>
> We tried the "onevm nic-attach" command and it hot-plugged the nic
> correctly, but it is lost from the vm once it is rebooted.
>
> The vm template keeps the nic, but xen is not aware of it, the
> deployment file is not changed.
>
> If we re-deploy (undeploy & resume)  the deployment file is correctly
> updated and xen is aware of the interface, but it needs a downtime we
> can not always afford.
>
> Is this a bug? is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have a
> similar issue/solution?
>
> Another issue we have found is with the  ebtables VNM driver, it just
> won't add any rule. Firewall rules are correctly implemented but not the
> ebtables ones.
>
> On the logs we found the following message:
>
> [VMM][D]: Message received: LOG E 10 A different toolstack (xl) have been
> selected!
>

> We found that NicXen class on OpenNebulaNic.rb doesn't use the new xl
> command but xm from xen3, we changed the code to use xl command but we
> still get the same message and no rules are added.
>
> I guess there other piece of code still using xm but I couldn't find it.
>
> Do you have any advice on where to look?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Jorge

Jaime Melis
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org