[one-users] Xen4 issues with nic-attach and ebtables vnm driver

Jorge Calás Lozano calas at speedyrails.com
Fri Aug 1 05:51:48 PDT 2014

Hello,

We are testing opennebula 4.6 with xen4 drivers on debian 7 servers, it
looks really great. We created our own storage drivers to match our
current setup, we did it using ruby and they are working great so far.

We are now testing the network drivers as well as adding/removing
nics/ips to a running vm.

In our current setup we add ip aliases to the vm's eth0 nic and add some
ebtables rules on the hypervisor host. How is this supposed to be done
in opennebula?

We tried the "onevm nic-attach" command and it hot-plugged the nic
correctly, but it is lost from the vm once it is rebooted.

The vm template keeps the nic, but xen is not aware of it, the
deployment file is not changed.

If we re-deploy (undeploy & resume)  the deployment file is correctly
updated and xen is aware of the interface, but it needs a downtime we
can not always afford.

Is this a bug? is there something I'm missing? Does anyone have a
similar issue/solution?

Another issue we have found is with the  ebtables VNM driver, it just
won't add any rule. Firewall rules are correctly implemented but not the
ebtables ones.

On the logs we found the following message:

[VMM][D]: Message received: LOG E 10 A different toolstack (xl) have been selected!

We found that NicXen class on OpenNebulaNic.rb doesn't use the new xl
command but xm from xen3, we changed the code to use xl command but we
still get the same message and no rules are added.

I guess there other piece of code still using xm but I couldn't find it.

Do you have any advice on where to look?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge