[one-users] VMware networking w/o Nsx?

Luca Uburti luburti at ricca-it.com
Tue Aug 12 10:00:19 PDT 2014

Hello, new user here

The company I work for is currently considering Opennebula as an alternative to Openstack since we ran into a few but critical limitations with Openstack+VMware as I will try to explain below and we would like to know if we can avoid these problems with Opennebula.

Our vsphere installation consists of a cluster of a few nodes and we use both standard vswitches and distributed vswitches among our hosts.

When we tried openstack we succesfully managed to integrate the nova-network vlanmanager functionality into vSphere, so that each time a new tenant starts her first instance, a vlan is created on the Openstack VM and a corresponding port group gets automagically created on the host vswitch.
Now if the new instance gets spawned on the very same host where the Openstack VM resides, everything seems to be working fine. On the other hand, if the new instance lands on a different host, no corresponding port group gets created thus leaving the new instance completely disconnected as its necessary port group is missing.

It turned out we needed a costly NSX license to either access the distributed vswitches or to let the cluster correctly handle the port groups creation on all hosts.

Now the question is, does opennebula support the automatic creation of portgroups and their associated Vlans (on a distributed vswitch or in a pinch replicated among all relevant standard hosts vswitches) without needing VMware NSX?
I saw no mention of NSX being required in the docs but before committing a few days into a proof of concept I figured out it would be better to know upfront the answer from people who already use it.

Thank you very much
Luca