[one-users] set user quotas be valid for a given period of time

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Mon Apr 14 02:39:27 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 8:29 AM, <knawnd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> as far as I understand from [1] in the current stable OpenNebula release
> (v.4.4) it's not possible to set user quotas be valid for a given period of
> time.
> We would like to implement the following scenario. Split all cloud users
> into two categories: 1) permanent and 2) temporal. Users from the second
> category can use cloud resources only during certain period of time. And
> e.g. one week/month before quotas are expired the user will get
> notification via email. He can ignore it if he is not going to use cloud
> resources any longer or ask for prolongation.
>
> Best regards,
> Nikolay.
>
> [1] http://docs.opennebula.org/4.4/administration/users_and_
> groups/quota_auth.html

No, that particular use case is not supported out of the box.
You can however implement it using the following tools:
* The quotas can be updated through the cli [1], ruby [2] or java [3] api.
* You can be notified when new users are created using hooks [4].
* You can define ACL rules to modify what a user can/cannot do.
* You shouldn't need it for your requirements, but you can also create
custom authentication and authorization drivers [5]

Regards

[1] http://docs.opennebula.org/doc/4.4/cli/oneuser.1.html
[2] http://docs.opennebula.org/4.4/integration/system_interfaces/ruby.html
[3] http://docs.opennebula.org/4.4/integration/system_interfaces/java.html