[one-users] What is the best way to reboot a storage server in order to cause the least amount of disruption to running VMs?

Gerry O'Brien gerry at scss.tcd.ie
Tue Apr 29 08:50:57 PDT 2014

Hi,

     Our OpenNebula Debian Wheezy storage server has been running for
466 days and needs to be rebooted as there have been many kernel patches
during this time. It exports the datastores to the hosts using NFS.

     What is the best way to reboot the server in order to cause the
least amount of disruption to running VMs? I've thought about suspending
all running VMs, rebooting the storage server and resuming the VMs after
the storages serveris back. Would this work? Obviously, any VMs that
have to maintain real time connections would be in trouble, e.g. iSCSI
mounts, but would an ordinary machines resume successfully after the
storage server reboots. The host NFS mounts are as here:
/datastores                     nfs
vers=4,bg,rw,_netdev,fsc,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,intr,noatime

     In general, is there a recommended way of providing HA storage to
hosts?

             Regards,
                 Gerry

--
Gerry O'Brien

Systems Manager
School of Computer Science and Statistics
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2
IRELAND

00 353 1 896 1341