[one-users] Virtual network requirement?

Campbell, Bill bcampbell at axcess-financial.com
Thu Sep 5 08:05:26 PDT 2013

My take on this:

Do not use DHCP. Utilize the contextualization packages in your VM images that you deploy. Here's what we do in our environment:

    * AppMarket is configured and holds all of our compressed template base images. These base images are a minimal OS installation, with the contextualization packages installed.

        * We primarily use persistent images, so we typically pull the images in from the market each time we want to deploy a new VM.

            * If not using persistent images, then you should only need to define the base template image and go from there.
    *
We define the virtual network in OpenNebula. This will handle either dynamic or static IP assignment, based on the VM template. Since OpenNebula is smart enough to not deploy VMs with the same allocated IP, then conflicts should not occur.     * The contextualization packages handle the configuration of the IP upon boot, so you don't need to worry about setting it afterwards.

        * 4.x versions of OpenNebula make network contextualization MUCH easier, as all options are now implied via a simple check box. Network context was a little bit more involved in versions prior.

Does the above make sense? We avoid using DHCP in our environment and allow OpenNebula to manage IP Address assignments. If we have the need for a virtual IP, we just place a hold in the virtual network and OpenNebula won't assign that IP.