[one-users] Lecture about OpenNebula

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org
Fri Oct 18 11:14:00 PDT 2013

Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin at baby-gnu.org> writes:

> I'm making a 20mn slideshow about OpenNebula at my work.

[...]

Hello,

I would like to thank you very much, the presentation of our feedback on
the few months with OpenNebula 3.8 was a success.

Everybody was very interested.

The most asked question was “How to migrate our vSphere to OpenNebula?”

As we do not manage the proprietary solution and missing ressources[1],
we could not give much response but “It looks to one target of
OpenNebula, we need to make some tests”.

I'll build a handout of our slides[2] to give more documentation than
just slides and give you URLs of them if anybody is interested.

I'm sorry! I was a “little” in the hurry with the surprise of ONE
presentation and failed netiquette as a newbie on this mailing-list
by not introducing myself.

Here is the correction of my miss-behaviour:

Quick and dirty personal curriculum vitae:

I started computing in around 1999, thanks to Free Software and I'm more
a sysadmin than a coder. Well, I like coding my configurations[3] ;-)

I started to work in computing in 2003 as sysadmin.

I'm interested in ONE for two reasons:

1. personally to manage my home servers (single node). virt-manager was
   no more an option ;-)

2. professionally, I'm working for the french ministry of National
   Education[4] in a group providing Free as in Freedom solution for
   schools, named EOLE[5]

At work, we investigate to install a 2 or 3 nodes ONE in schools,
sometime to replace single nodes ESXi, and federate all the nebulas to
make a single portal and deploy new VM remotely.

As I said, we are just starting, we installed a two nodes 3.8 ONE few
months ago to QA tests for our solutions replacing the “unusable for us”
vCenter Lab Manager and get some feedbacks.

Now the test is successful, we will switch to 4.2 in a week or two.

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1]  Financial and humans

[2]  in french

[3]  thanks CFEngine, Puppet and the last I'm interested in but did not
     get the time to learn: SaltStack

[4]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_National_Education_%28France%29

[5]  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/EOLE_%28Linux%29

--