[one-users] Some questions about overcommitment in OpenNebula 4.2 using KVM

Gerry O'Brien gerry at scss.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 17 08:52:35 PDT 2013

On 16/10/2013 22:32, Ruben S. Montero wrote:
>>   libvirt uses cgroups, so yes, it does.
>> cgroups do not seem to be enabled with kvm. Am I correct in assuming this?
>
> Yes it is configured by default. You have to enable it in the hypervisors,
> though
>

> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:kvmg#working_with_cgroups_optional

Ok, as neither /etc/cgconfig.conf nor /etc/cgrules.conf exist on the
hosts, the CPU parameter is not used to limit execution but only
deployment. My understanding that in this scenario setting a small CPU
value allows for cpu overcommitment without having to modify kvm.rb.
This also allows for creating cpu hungry machines by setting CPU and
VCPU equal.

--
Gerry O'Brien

Systems Manager
School of Computer Science and Statistics
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2
IRELAND

00 353 1 896 1341