[one-users] updating TEMPLATE from hooks with onevm update

Olivier Sallou olivier.sallou at irisa.fr
Tue Nov 26 02:51:50 PST 2013

On 11/26/2013 11:14 AM, Carlos Martín Sánchez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When the VM is created, the template contents are parsed and stored in
> VM/TEMPLATE. All the extra unknown attributes are stored in
> VM/USER_TEMPLATE. You can see this with the onevm show -x command. The
> onevm update action only allows to edit the USER_TEMPLATE attributes,
> and as you described, the create hook is triggered after the VM has
> been correctly created.
>
> I don't see any easy way to make your work flow fit into OpenNebula.
> Could you elaborate a bit more on your use case?
What I expect is to get my USER_TEMPLATE in the context.sh mounted in my VM.

A basic use case is to generate a unique password for a web application
running in the VM. I'd like to generate the passsword with a hook and
send the password to the user by mail (until here, this is fine). The
generated password is also in the VM context/template so that it appears
in the context.sh of the VM. At startup, a specific init script read the
VM contextualization and init the web application with the password
provided.

Olivier

> I'm assuming you want those two variables to end in the context
> section of the VM. In that case the preferred way to do so would be to
> have a VM Template for each Image, and in there set the needed variables.
>
> Regards
> --
> Carlos Martín, MSc
> Project Engineer
> OpenNebula - Flexible Enterprise Cloud Made Simple
> www.OpenNebula.org <http://www.OpenNebula.org> |
> cmartin at opennebula.org <mailto:cmartin at opennebula.org> | @OpenNebula
> <http://twitter.com/opennebula>
>

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Olivier Sallou
> <olivier.sallou at irisa.fr <mailto:olivier.sallou at irisa.fr>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     If my VM HOOK (on CREATE) adds new elements with a onevm update, I
>     can see those variables in the the "user template"  of the vm/
>
>     onevm show:

>     USER
>     TEMPLATE
>
>     SSH_PUBLIC_KEY="ssh-rsa......"
>     XGRID_PWD="xxx"
>
>     In my image template, I have set:
>
>     SSH_PUBLIC_KEY 	$USER[SSH_PUBLIC_KEY]
>     XGRID_PWD 	$USER[XGRID_PWD]
>

>     But in the VM template, I do not see any of those variable.
>
>     It would seem that user template attributes are created *after*
>     the vm template generation.
>
>     Any idea  ?
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Olivier

Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1
Campus de Beaulieu, 35000 RENNES - FRANCE
Tel: 02.99.84.71.95

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438