[one-users] slow live migration of VM's

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Mon Nov 25 06:39:19 PST 2013

Here you have the algorithm for live migration:

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Migration#Algorithm_.28the_short_version.29

In case your VM is doing some work that changes a lot of memory it
will keep marking dirty pages and it will continue in the "Iteratively
transfer all dirty pages (pages that were written to by the guest)."
until the number of dirty pages is small enough so you don't notice
the migration.

Try stopping services changing memory in the VM before the migration.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Gary S. Cuozzo <gary at isgsoftware.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was just moving some VM's around as a prep for some server maintenance,
> via live migration.  I moved 3 VM's which were all fairly small in size of
> 1GB - 3GB RAM and 20GB - 60GB disk.  I did the migrations 1 at a time.  I
> was surprised at how long the migrations took and also that each VM was
> pretty much unusable during the migration.  SSH sessions timed out and
> websites were not able to be accessed.  A VM with 3GB RAM allocation took
> around 10 minutes to migrate.
>
> Is this typical?  Or do I maybe have some sort of issue on my network or
> config?  We run a dedicated 1000Mbps management network for this type of
> thing, and all data storage access is via separate 4x 1000Mbps bonded
> channels.  I would have expected 3GB of RAM data to be pretty quick.
> Probably < 1 min.
>
> Are there any settings in ONE that should be tuned?  I don't seem to recall
> having an issue with migrations when I was just running virt-manager/libvirt
> directly.
>
> The last VM I have to move is a pretty important one and it has 24GB RAM
> allocated.  So I think it would be easier/quicker to just shut the VM down,
> disable the host for maintenance, and redeploy it.  I'm hoping to avoid
> that.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> gary

Javier Fontán Muiños