[one-users] Backup and Restore

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Nov 7 10:53:24 PST 2013

You can also try (Xen, VMware also supported in this method) save_as the VM
disks (live), sync the FS (within the VMs) before doing it to prevent
inconsistencies. You will have a copy of the disks in the Image datastore,
that can be used as backup or to instantiate other VMs.

Cheers

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Carlo Daffara <
carlo.daffara at cloudweavers.eu> wrote:

> There are many solutions; apart from using kvm snapshots (and later image
> rebuild to have a single clone) we prefer the use of a filesystem that
> allows for atomic snapshots (like BTRFS) or
> a distributed filesystem with the same properties (like Ceph). You
> snapshot the entire datastore or the single file you want, and then
> reimport it within opennebula.
> Take care of one thing: if you are using cache=writeback in KVM (or the
> equivalent in xen or vmware) you are risking inconsistencies, unless you
> stop the VM, as there are probably outstanding writes that needs to be
> committed to disk that will not appear in the snapshot at all.
> Carlo Daffara

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect