[one-users] sunstone ceph/rados/rbd bug?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri May 17 11:11:13 PDT 2013

Hi

Can you verify that in the second case the image is stored in a datastore
with DISK_TYPE = RBD?

Could you send the output for VM template (onetemplate -x show), the
datastore (onedatastore -x show) and the resulting vm (onevm -x show)?

Thanks

Ruben

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM, George Kissandrakis <gkissand at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have installed opennebula within sunstone and rbd (ceph)
> I have one problem
>
> I create an image in rbd datastore (through sunstone or command line, no
> difference)
>
> *- Case 1 command line*
> I create a VM from command line
> *onevm create --name vm1 --cpu 1 --mem 1024 --disk image1 --vnc --nic 1*
> the VM uses the image (image1) for disk which is in rbd
> Live migrate works perfect
> Failover works perfect
>
> the command line for this vm is
> /usr/bin/kvm -name one-36 [blah...blah] *-drive
> file=rbd:one/one-9:auth_supported=none,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=raw,cache=none
> * [blah...blah]
>
> So the disk is the rbd block device and only that, which is distributed to
> all physical hosts through ceph
>

> *- Case 2 though sunstone*
> I create a VM template using the same image (image1) (persistent or not)
> I create a VM with that template
> and the command line is
> /usr/bin/kvm -name one-35 [blah...blah] *-drive
> file=/var/lib/one//datastores/0/35/disk.1,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-ide0-0-0,readonly=on,format=raw
> * [blah...blah] *-drive
> file=rbd:one/one-8:auth_supported=none,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-1,format=raw,cache=none
> * [blah...blah]
>
> As you see in the second case there is a file as drive, so when i try to
> migrate or to failover by crashing the server, the VM does not
> migrate/failover because is missing the file
> If i do a shared storage, it migrates the VM but it does not failover
> because it tryies to copy the file from the crashed server(?) and even if
> it migrates it will loose all data which are in file
>
> *So is there a way to create a VM which reads and writes in the rbd
> directly and not on a file with sunstone?*
> *Is it a bug or lack of feature?*
>
> Thank you
> George Kissandrakis

Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 in Berlin, 24-26 September, 2013
--
Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect