[one-users] Question about datastores

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon May 6 04:48:59 PDT 2013

Hi

> My plan once I go into production, is to create a datastore for a
> customer.  Then that customer will be able to use as much space as is
> provisioned for that datastore.  E.g., I have a customer "Bills Super VMs",
> I'd create a 500GB datastore for "Bills Super VMs", then he can create as
> many VMs up to that 500GB limit.

The VMs can be cloned or not depending on their persistency:

* persistent: images are ln to the system datastore (depending on the
datastore and the TM drivers this can mean a link or a copy to a local
storage area...)

* non-persistent: images are cloned, usually copied to the system datastore.

It seems that you use case can be implemented by using the shared TM, and
persistent images. You can force  the images to be always linked by
overwirting the cp script with ln. (It be a good idea to copy the shared
drivers to other name... let me know if you need help with this).

In this way images will be always ln, and you can control the quotas with
the datastore usage.

> Also, I am unable to create disk images on anything but the default
> datastore when creating "volatile" disk images through the VM Template
> interface in Sunstone.  Even when attempting to create a template as an
> unprivileged user, specifically, a user that has been denied access to the
> default datastore, the volitile disk is still created in the default
> datastore.

Volatile disks are always created in the system datastore (also context
disks and the like). Now we do not have quotas for volatile disks. In you
use.case I'll change the mkfs script to not make any disk and disable that
functionality...

> How do I get images to clone into the correct datastore instead of the
> default datastore all the time?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon A

Ruben S. Montero, PhD