[one-users] Question about datastores

Jon three18ti at gmail.com
Sun May 5 12:55:38 PDT 2013

Hello All,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how datastores work, but whenever I
instantiate a VM, the whole image is cloned into the default datastore.

I even went as far as creating a user/group, creating a datastore for that
user, and disabling access for "Group" and "Other" in the system
datastore.  I am able to download an image from the market place into said
datastore.

However, when I instantiate the VM, the image is cloned into the default
datastore

>> Sat Apr 27 19:24:29 2013 [TM][I]: clone: Cloning
loki:/var/lib/one/datastores/103/4a657983e37df7e79b59110748f58ce8 in
/var/lib/one/datastores/0/87/disk.0

My plan once I go into production, is to create a datastore for a
customer.  Then that customer will be able to use as much space as is
provisioned for that datastore.  E.g., I have a customer "Bills Super VMs",
I'd create a 500GB datastore for "Bills Super VMs", then he can create as
many VMs up to that 500GB limit.

Also, I am unable to create disk images on anything but the default
datastore when creating "volatile" disk images through the VM Template
interface in Sunstone.  Even when attempting to create a template as an
unprivileged user, specifically, a user that has been denied access to the
default datastore, the volitile disk is still created in the default
datastore.

How do I get images to clone into the correct datastore instead of the
default datastore all the time?

Thanks,
Jon A