[one-users] Migrating from a 'manual' KVM+qcow setup and forced spreading of machines

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon May 6 04:38:01 PDT 2013

Hi

The process should be perform in 3 steps:

1.- Get the images in OpenNebula. You will need to setup a datastore with
the desired TM drviers (it seems that you are targeting ssh). Then register
the images you are using, probably the best is to use the command line and
the parameters, like:

oneimage create --name --driver qcow2 --prefix vd --type OS --path
<path_to_image>

You need to adjust: driver (qcow2 or raw), prefix (vd = virtio, sd=scsi)
and maybe a description.

TIP. The above will copy the images. You can create an stub for the images
using a dummy path (e.g. touch /tmp/foo) and them moving the file (mv)
using SOURCE as target.

2.- Recreate the networks. you will need just to know the birdge name.

3.- Recreate templates. Once you have the images and networks it should be
easy to create the templates. If you are using custom KVM attributes look
at the deployment.0 files generated by opennebula and look for differences.

Yes, you can use REQUIREMENTS to force the deployment of a template in a
given host (or cluster).

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Tim Stoop <opennebula at timstoop.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a some questions about migrating from a manual (or rather,
> in-house-scripted) KVM+qcow+libvirt setup to OpenNebula. Are there easy
> ways of converting those images so we can start them up again from
> OpenNebula? We're going to start with 'simple' local storage first, so we
> won't have to migrate.
>
> Are there any guides for that?
>
> Another question, is it possible to make sure certain VMs aren't started
> on the same host? Think of failover setups and the like.
>
> Thanks in advance or your answers!
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Tim