[one-users] OpenNebula 4.0 is out!

Tino Vazquez tinova at opennebula.org
Wed May 8 09:29:56 PDT 2013

Dear Community,

This is the official announcement of OpenNebula 4.0, codename Eagle,
five years after our first public release. OpenNebula 4.0 is the
result of the terrific feedback of the day-to-day operation of
virtualized infrastructures by many of you, result of all your
contributions, bug reports, patches, and translations, but one and
foremost, OpenNebula 4.0 is the realization of a vision of simplicity,
openness, code-correctness and a sysadmin-centric approach.

OpenNebula 4.0 includes new features in most of its subsystems. We are
showing for the first time a completely redesigned Sunstone, with a
fresh and modern look and an updated workflow for most of the dialogs.
The also new Sunstone Views functionality allows to customize the GUI
for each type of user or group, so the interface implements a
different provisioning model for each role. A whole new set of
operations for VMs like system and disk snapshoting, capacity
re-sizing, programmable VM actions and IPv6 among others. There are
some new drivers also, like Ceph; as well as improvements for VMware,
KVM and Xen. The scheduler has received some attention from the
OpenNebula team to easily define more placement policies...and much
more.

As usual OpenNebula releases are named after a Nebula. The Eagle
Nebula (catalogued as Messier 16 or M16, and as NGC 6611, and also
known as the Star Queen Nebula) is a young open cluster of stars in
the constellation Serpens, discovered by Jean-Philippe de Cheseaux in
1745-46. It is located about 7,000 light-years away from Earth.

And last, but not least, we want to give a huge THANKS to our
community, without whom OpenNebula wouldn't be anywhere as near as
good as it is today.

So, let's fly over the clouds riding the Eagle ;)

LINKS
  * Complete Release Notes: http://www.opennebula.org/software:rnotes:rn-rel4.0
  * Download: http://downloads.opennebula.org/
  * Documentation: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.0
  * Screencasts: http://opennebula.org/documentation:screencasts

--
Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 in Berlin, 24-26 September, 2013

--
Constantino Vázquez Blanco, PhD, MSc
Project Engineer | OpenNebula - The Open-Source Solution for Data