[one-users] why doesn't opennebula judge the host capacity except for actions related to scheduler?

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Mar 14 02:13:17 PDT 2013

Hi

About the first problem (-2). This should be fixed in OpenNebula 3.8.3, are
you using that version? If so can you send the output of onehost show -x
<host_id> before and after the migration.

About the second problem (capacity checks). We have included the
'--enforce' option to enforce that the host capacity is not exceeded for
onevm migrate and livemigrate. (The new onevm resize command also accepts
that options so you can enforce that the host capacity is not overcommitted
when re-sizing the VM capacity).

Cheers

Ruben

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:07 AM, cmcc.dylan <dx10years at 126.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>    I doubt about this problem for a long time and i also prove it using
> some test case.
>    Firstly, let's describe the problem as follows:
>    I manage two host machines using opennebula and they both have 4 cores
> in total. I deploy vm1 which has 2 cores in host1 and deploy vm2 which has
> 4 cores in host2. After that, I migrate vm1 to host2, to my surprise it
> success and the free cpu of host2 becomes -2.
>
>    so i read the source code related to virtual machine's migration, and i
> find this is no judgement of host resources' capacity in the whole
> migration process. Source codes as follows:
>                        vm->get_requirements(cpu,mem,disk);
>                        hpool->add_capacity(vm->get_hid(),cpu,mem,disk);
>    And i also seek what actions does opennebula to test host resources'
> capacity and find only two places and they also related to scheduler.For
> example:
>    (1)void Scheduler::match()
>    (2)int VirtualMachineXML::get_host()
> Only the two place call the funstion - test_capacity(cpu,mem,dsk) to judge
> the host resources.
>
>    i'm sorry if i don't describe the problem clearly. Hope someone to help
> and communication with me.

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect