[one-users] How to prepare window 7 image (Contextization)

chenxiang at aquala-tech.com chenxiang at aquala-tech.com
Mon Jul 22 23:31:35 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have recently tested the Virtual Router as described on the following page:

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.0:router

The problem with this Virtual Router is that it only delivers the correct
IP address and network mask to the guest VM, but failed to deliver the
correct gateway and DNS server to the VM.

For example, if I have contextualized a Ubuntu 12.04 VM with the following
parameters the VM is capable of getting the correct IP address, as well as
the correct gateway and DNS server:

CONTEXT=[
  ETH0_DNS="$NETWORK[DNS, NETWORK=\"MY-LAN\"]",
  ETH0_GATEWAY="$NETWORK[GATEWAY, NETWORK=\"MY-LAN\"]" ]

With the following Virtual Router context, my Windows XP guest OS will get
the IP address of the Virtual Router as the default gateway and DNS
server.

CONTEXT=[
  DHCP="YES",
  PRIVNET="$NETWORK[TEMPLATE, NETWORK=\"MY-LAN\"]",
  RADVD="NO",
  TARGET="hdb",
  TEMPLATE="$TEMPLATE" ]

I have already defined the related properties in my network definition,
such as:

DNS="8.8.8.8"
GATEWAY="192.168.100.250"
NETWORK_MASK="255.255.255.0"

On the documentation page, under the Full Router section it says that i
can add a DNS line in the context, so I did this:

CONTEXT=[
  DHCP="YES",
  PRIVNET="$NETWORK[TEMPLATE, NETWORK=\"MY-LAN\"]",
  RADVD="NO",
  TARGET="hdb",
  DNS="8.8.8.8",
  TEMPLATE="$TEMPLATE" ]

Try again with a Windows XP guest OS, still not working.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Chen Xiang