[one-users] Making persistent libvirt domains.

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Mon Jul 8 06:34:03 PDT 2013

Hi,

There are some problems with the "define" approach in a distributed
environment, mainly related with the reuse of ID's.... Also you have to
undefine the VMs, etc..

Anyway note that the data is not lost (even in the non-persistent case), as
all the files are in the crashed host. Just issue onevm boot, and the VM
will be recreated. This is like define the VM but not in libvirt but let
OpenNebula handle it.

This very simple script can be easily hooked to the host state, so when you
enable a host the VMs running within are onevm-boot'ed if they are in
unknown state.

What do you think?

Cheers

Ruben

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Pentium100 <pentium100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying out OpenNebula as a replacement for our current system of just
> using virt-manager to manage the VMs.
>

> We use the VMs as replacements of real server - which means that each VM
> is unique and should not be deleted (unless, of course, it is no longer
> needed). There are no multiple virtual servers all doing the same thing -
> we may have more than one web server for example, but each one serves
> different sites. So far, OpenNebula seems OK for this - persistent images,
> the ability to modify a VM and keep the data (two things which may be a
> problem with OpenStack).
>
> However, I noticed that the VMs are stared with "virsh create <xml>",
> thich means that the libvirt domains are transient, and if the host reboots
> (power failure, hardware failure etc), all VMs that were running on it
> enter "unknown" state and must be manually recreated. If the image is not
> persistent, then the data is lost.
>
> The obvious solution to this would be to use persistent libvirt domains,
> by using "virsh define <xml>; virsh start <domain>" instead of "virsh
> create <xml>". That would allow the VMs to survive host restart and
> optionally to be started together with the host.
>
> Will this feature be ever supported officially? Or do I just need to
> modify the relevant files and keep an unofficial version?

Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 in Berlin, 24-26 September, 2013
--
Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect