[one-users] Making persistent libvirt domains.

Pentium100 pentium100 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 00:40:23 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying out OpenNebula as a replacement for our current system of just
using virt-manager to manage the VMs.

We use the VMs as replacements of real server - which means that each VM is
unique and should not be deleted (unless, of course, it is no longer
needed). There are no multiple virtual servers all doing the same thing -
we may have more than one web server for example, but each one serves
different sites. So far, OpenNebula seems OK for this - persistent images,
the ability to modify a VM and keep the data (two things which may be a
problem with OpenStack).

However, I noticed that the VMs are stared with "virsh create <xml>", thich
means that the libvirt domains are transient, and if the host reboots
(power failure, hardware failure etc), all VMs that were running on it
enter "unknown" state and must be manually recreated. If the image is not
persistent, then the data is lost.

The obvious solution to this would be to use persistent libvirt domains, by
using "virsh define <xml>; virsh start <domain>" instead of "virsh create
<xml>". That would allow the VMs to survive host restart and optionally to
be started together with the host.

Will this feature be ever supported officially? Or do I just need to modify
the relevant files and keep an unofficial version?