[one-users] Datastore questions

Michael Curran michael.curran at connectsolutions.com
Tue Jul 16 11:40:31 PDT 2013

Hello -

This is a generalized question about the system datastore and the images datastore

In OpenNebula - you store all your running VM's in the system datastore , and images in the aptly named images datastore.  I am using it on top of VMware, with SAN attached storage. In my test environment for this it is not an issue, there will never be more environments than I have room for in my system datastore

Now the tricky part of this question - my current production environment is made up of anywhere from 4 - 10 ESXi hosts in a VMware cluster (depending on location) and I have no less than 30 LUNS attached as Datastores for vmware - since it can see and use each of them individually on all nodes in the cluster

When the time comes to stand up my production Opennebula I will be building it on top of the existing environment, but I will not be destroying any current VM's - especially since VMware created VM's and OpenNebula created VM's can co-exist on the same set of infrastructure

Why has ON been limited to 1 system Datastore? Why can't it take advantage of whatever storage is attached to the ESXi hosts and I choose the DS it goes onto. Presently the way its built, I would have to stand up one ON server per DS for VM's and share the same images DS - that seems a bit cumbersome to manage and also a waste of resources. Also if you outgrow your system datastore, you can just grow it once created at a HW raid level - it has to be destroyed to be expanded - I should just be able to add storage and take advantage of the extra datastores for adding new VM's to run on.

Am I just reading the documentation wrong?

Michael Curran | connectsolutions | Lead Network Architect
Phone 614.568.2285 | Mobile 614.403.6320 | www.connectsolutions.com<http://www.connectsolutions.com>