[one-users] IP reservations in virtual networks

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Jan 16 09:35:11 PST 2013

Hi

Something we've done in the past for some setups is to create vnets for
specific users. The network has an initial set of pre-assigned IP's that
can be used only by the vnet owner. An external provisioning program
adds/deletes leases to the user network, when needed (e.g. run out of
IP's...).

Maybe an approach similar to that one is useful for your use-case.

Cheers

Ruben

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Carlos Martín Sánchez <
cmartin at opennebula.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> VNet hold/release is not meant for your use case, it was implemented to
> hold IPs that may be temporarily used by a physical host, or some machines
> not managed by OpenNebula.
>
> Maybe you could put your VM in the hold state [1], that will take the vnet
> lease, and you can later release the VM to be deployed.
>
> Regards
>
> [1]
> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:vm_guide_2#life-cycle_operations
> --
> Carlos Martín, MSc
> Project Engineer
> OpenNebula - The Open-source Solution for Data Center Virtualization
> www.OpenNebula.org | cmartin at opennebula.org | @OpenNebula<http://twitter.com/opennebula><cmartin at opennebula.org>
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Rolandas Naujikas <
> rolandas.naujikas at mif.vu.lt> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When trying to configure virtual router VM I got into a problem.
>>
>> I want to configure its private IP fixed to some low IP (e.g. 10.1.1.1).
>>
>> I'm creating virtual (isolated) network X, where I defines
>> IP_START=10.1.1.3, IP_END=10.1.1.254, but opennebula doesn't allow
>> instantiate a VM with NIC=[IP=10.1.1.1,NETWORK=X], because 10.1.1.1 is not
>> in range IP_START to IP_END.
>>
>> If I put IP_START=10.1.1.1 to X, then some other user VM could take this
>> IP. If I put 10.1.1.1 on hold (onevnet hold), then I cannot start VM with
>> this IP until I release it (onevnet release), but there is always some time
>> window when someone from users could take it. It looks like onevnet
>> hold/release is almost useless.
>>
>> Regards, Rolandas

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect