[one-users] qcow2 images in datastores and as volatile disks

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Feb 15 09:26:48 PST 2013

>  1.: I have to set FORMAT = "qcow2" so qemu-img create is used to create
> the image file. But this way I can not specify a filesystem to be created,
> right? I have to manually format the disk after vm booted (of curse I can
> use contextualisation to do this part). Is there a way to tell opennebula
> to create qcow2 img and then format it with ext3?

Exactly, you need to mount the disk and format it within the VM, once
booted. We thought about adding an extra TYPE something like qcow2+ext3 but
we feel that would be more confusing...

> 2.: The main reason why I want to use qcow2 is thin provisioning in the
> meaning of empty disk does not use $max_size at our storage. For testing I
> created a disks like:
>
> DISK  = [ TYPE = "fs",
>           SIZE = 40000,
>           FORMAT = "ext3"]
>
> DISK  = [ TYPE = "fs",
>           SIZE = 40000,
>           FORMAT = "raw"]
>
> I saw that even this disks only took ~750Mb on our NFS server. Can someone
> explain why, I expected that these raw (or raw with ext3 filesystem on it)
> will take the whole 40k Mb on our storage.

Maybe that's because you are using a file system with support for sparse
files.

> 3.: The transfer manager ist attached to a datastore and not to a image.
> So I can not put qcow2 and raw images into the same datastore. Is there a
> reason for that?

Actually you can. You'll have a datastore of type fs (DS_MAD = fs) and
using a transfer manager drivers qcow (TM_MAD=qcow2). You can create "raw"
files in the datastore. The TM driver will use qemu-img commands, but AFAIK
that also handle raw images.

> Why can't we attach the tm to a image instead of datastore?

TM is to specify how the images of a datastore are distributed to the
hosts. This is related to the storage configuration (shared by all the
images in a given datastore) and not to the image itself

> but I can put qcow2 images into shared tm datastore if the vm template
> overrides this by setting driver=qcow2, right?

Yes driver is an attribute of the image (the image format), you need to add
the driver=qcow2 for the qcow2 images.

Summary.

1.- Define a fs datastore [1] with the qcow2 transfer driver
2.- Create images in it, either register exisiting qcow2 files, or creating
datablocks of type qcow2 (to be formatted on the vm) or any other type.
Qcow2 images would need DRIVER=qcow2
3.- Use those files in your VMs with DISK = [...]

NOTE: Volatile disks as the one in your email are created on the fly in the
system datastore. [2]

Up to now I only thought about different datastores are different storage
> locations and different redundancy zones/slas/performance classes. Any
> clearification is appreciated

Yes, basically datastores are abstractions to manage different storage
architectures and configurations. Balancing among different servers, slas
and the like are goodies that comes that abstraction.

[1]
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:fs_ds#using_the_qcow2_transfer_driver
[2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:system_ds

Cheers

Ruben

> Thanks for your help,
> Nils Schröder
>
> OHG mit Sitz in Oldenburg; Registergericht Oldenburg HR A 1548;
> Persönlich haftende geschäftsführende Gesellschafterin: Neumüller CeWe
> Color Stiftung, Oldenburg
> Vorstand: Dr. Rolf Hollander, Vorsitzender; Harald H. Pirwitz, Felix
> Thalmann, Frank Zweigle, Dr. Michael Fries;
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reiner Fageth, Andreas F.L. Heydemann, Dr. Olaf
> Holzkämper
>
> Persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: CeWe Color Holding AG, Oldenburg,
> Registergericht Oldenburg HR B 2956
> Vorstand: Dr. Rolf Hollander, Vorsitzender; Andreas F.L. Heydemann, Dr.
> Reiner Fageth, Dr. Olaf Holzkämper
> Aufsichtsrat: Otto Korte, Vorsitzender

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect