[one-users] Sunstone vs OCCI for internal use

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Fri Feb 8 02:44:46 PST 2013

Hi Vassilis,

On 7 February 2013 16:59, Vassilis Vatikiotis
<vatikiot at iit.demokritos.gr> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we are in the final stages of deploying an OpenNebula cloud solution
> for a research institute, about 100 users. I was wondering which would
> be the best scenario for end users to interact with this, Sunstone or
> OCCI? The service is not intended to be public, it'll be deployed to
> cater the needs of our internal users.

It depends on what functionality you want to provide your users and
their expertise .

OpenNebula Self-Service (OCCI) [1] is a simplified GUI and Its aim is
to offer a simplified access to shared infrastructure for non-IT end
users. Users will be able to create new instances based on  predefined
types, just selecting the existing storage and network resources
without any configuration.

On the other hand users interacting with OpenNebula through Sunstone
[2] will be able to tweak the vms/network/images to fit their
requirements. The administrator will be able to limit the actions a
group/user can perform on the cloud resources using the ACL system
[3]. Also the administrator can provide the users with preconfigured
templates/networks... to ease the task of creating a new VM from
scratch

Hope this helps

[1] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:selfservice
[2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:sunstone