[one-users] OpenNebula 3.8 + GlusterFS 3.4

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Fri Feb 15 03:52:46 PST 2013

Hi,

well, I agree with this. Now that there's an upcoming gluster support in
libvirt, and with qemu's integration with libgsapi for qemu-img create,
integrating it for OpenNebula makes a lot of sense.

In particular we could do the same thing we've done for the CEPH
integration, create a new TYPE = "GLUSTER" image type, and generate
specific domain files for that type (using the new 'source
protocol="gluster"'), like we did in this commit:
https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/commit/555da9937bae384b981c7c310334866f576af925

And create a new set of gluster datastore and tm drivers that use qemu-img
create for the creation of images and for the rest of actions (clone, copy,
rename, rm) either a libgfapi wrapper or directly operating in a fuse
mount...

cheers,
Jaime

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Shankhadeep Shome <shank15217 at gmail.com>wrote:

> well unless you create a qemu plugin for open nebula we have to wait for
> libvirt to integrate this datastore into its xml. The other option is
> creating a driver for ovirt and letting ovirt handle the qemu interface,
> its significant work in either case.
>

> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On 01/20/2013 04:29 PM, Shankhadeep Shome wrote:
>>
>>> This is already being done or already done in newer versions of libvirt,
>>> see KVM forum 2012 for latest on glusterfs and libvirt
>>>

>> Sure, that is being done and mostly functional - I've seen the demo's
>> too. The task here, however, is getting this backported in a sane way to
>> still work with the rest of the distro tooling.
>>
>> btw, mailing list : try not topposting. As you can see now this
>> conversation is fragmented!
>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org
>>> <mailto:mail-lists at karan.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi,
>>>

>>>     On 01/16/2013 09:56 AM, Tobias Honacker wrote:
>>>
>>>         is there any possibility to integrate GlusterFS 3.4 (without
>>>         fuse mount)
>>>         - http://www.gluster.org/2012/__**11/integration-with-kvmqemu/<http://www.gluster.org/2012/__11/integration-with-kvmqemu/>
>>>
>>>         <http://www.gluster.org/2012/**11/integration-with-kvmqemu/<http://www.gluster.org/2012/11/integration-with-kvmqemu/>>
>>>         OpenNebula 3.8 ?
>>>         Maybe with the creation of a new driver or something else?
>>>

>>>     I've been tracking that glusterfs feature for a while now, and would
>>>     be interested to see someone take up the task to evaluate the depth
>>>     of changes needed to make this work on CentOS-6.
>>>
>>>     The qemu stack and the libvirt stack are going to need an update,
>>>     and they both have a fairly long dep tree - so the implications need
>>>     to be evaluated a bit.
>>>

>> --
>> Karanbir Singh
>> +44-207-0999389 | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh
>> ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax
>> GnuPG Key : http://www.karan.org/**publickey.asc<http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc>

Jaime Melis
www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org