[one-users] Cannot contact server: is it running and reachable?

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Mon Aug 12 00:16:36 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 12 August 2013 07:52, <kenneth at apolloglobal.net> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi all,
>
> I just installed OpenNebula a few days ago. It is running fine, but every
> minute or so this message appears on the lower right of the OpenNebula
> webmin page. It is a notification bubble. It also appears when I used the
> KVM sandbox from the opennebula website. Now that the front end is in a
> seperate physical machine, the notification still appears.
>
> "Error
>
> Cannot contact server: is it running and reachable?"
>

> Although the notification appears, all features (as far as my testing go)
> are working as expected. No errors yet.
> Should be alarmed of this message? Is there a way to remove this
> notification. I don't want my boss to see this notification when the
> cluster is in production environment.

This error appears when the browser cannot contact the sunstone-server or
the request takes more than expected and the timeout is reached. To improve
the response time:
    * [sunstone-oned] Is the connection between sunstone-server and oned
fast?
    * [sunstone] Check if the nokogiri gem is installed in the physical
machine where sunstone-server is running, if it's not installed rexml will
be used by default (a bit slower)
    * [sunstone] Using ruby 1.9 instead of 1.8
    * [sunstone] By default sunstone-server runs using the thin server, in
a production environment it's recommended to use passenger + apache/nginx
instead. [1]
    * [oned] Use mysql instead of sqlite as oned backend. [2]

Hope this helps

[1]
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:suns_advance#running_sunstone_inside_another_webserver
[2] http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:mysql