[one-users] Self-service Cloud View use case

Daniel Molina dmolina at opennebula.org
Wed Aug 7 01:40:41 PDT 2013

Hi Riccardo,

On 7 August 2013 09:36, Riccardo Brunetti <brunetti.riccardo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Steve and Olivier for your prompt reply.
> I will try to follow your suggestions, but I'm still missing a point:
> let's consider this use case (quite common I suppose in a cloud
> provisioning service).
> I have a user who wants 2 VMs, based on a given base image and template,
> and wants them persistent because he needs them to keep the
> modifications after a shutdown.
> The problem is that I can't have 2 instances of the same image if that
> image is marked persistent. On the other hand, if the image is not
> persistent, the user should instantiate the VMs, save them, mark the new
> ones persistent and re-deploy them. This is something that a, let's say,
> "non enough skilled" user can't do easily.
> What it seems to me is missing (or at least I can't find) is something
> like an atomic "clone-in-persistent-and-deploy" mechanism.

There are available more actions to "shutdown" a VM that will keep the
resources assigned to a given instance. You may find useful the following
guide, "terminating vs pausing" [1]

You can configure the actions that will be available for a given user/group
in Sunstone. For example, if you want to disable the shutdown action for
your cloud users (/etc/one/sunstone-views/cloud.yaml):
    vms-tab:
        actions:
            VM.poweroff: true
            VM.poweroff_hard: true
            VM.undeploy: true
            VM.undeploy_hard: true
            VM.shutdown: false
            VM.shutdown_hard: false

Hope this helps

[1]
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:vm_guide_2#terminating_vm_instances

> Best Regards.
> Riccardo
>
> On 08/06/2013 03:27 PM, Steven Timm wrote:
> > FermiCloud does something quite similar to what you are asking
> > for below, although we are currently using an earlier version
> > of OpenNebula.
> >
> > The persistence of images and the persistence of IP addresses
> > are controlled independently in OpenNebula.  Typically for
> > our fixed-ipVM's we do have a separate image for every
> > user and each one of those images is marked "persistent" in the VM
> > store. but we also have a standard image that anyone can use, with fixed
> > IP or with dynamic IP.. if the user then wants to make modifications
> > to their image and store their image, they can do that.
> >
> > If you need more details, you can email me privately.
> >
> > Steve Timm
> >

> > On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Riccardo Brunetti wrote:
> >
> >> Dear OpenNebula users.
> >> We are setting up a IaaS service using opennebula 4.2, which should be
> >> used by our users to perform a self-provisioning of virtual machine.
> >> Basically, each user should choose one of the available VM templates and
> >> one of the available VM images and self-deploy a given number of VM for
> >> his personal use.
> >> It seems that this is really the use case of the Self-service Cloud
> >> described in:
> >>
> >> http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel4.2:cloud_view
> >>
> >> but there is something that we are still missing.
> >> The point is that each user should be able to "buy" an instance, use it,
> >> modify it, switch it off and on and do whatever he wants preserving the
> >> changes.
> >> Moreover, each time the machine is instantiated it must get the same IP
> >> address. In other words, each instance should be persistent.
> >> From the above doc, it is not clear to us if this is actually the case.
> >> If the images are not defined persistent, the changes are lost and, on
> >> the other hand, we can't define them persistent since we want many users
> >> be able to use them.
> >> Moreover, it seems that it's possible to pin a given IP address only at
> >> the level of the template but, once again, the same template is supposed
> >> to be used by many customer.
> >>
> >> The only possibility that we can see is to clone the same image for each
> >> user, making each clone persistent, and provide the same number of
> >> templates, but this is something that easily becomes unfeasible as soon
> >> as the number of users increases.
> >>
> >> Anybody has ever tried to make such a service? Can you please give us
> >> some suggestions or show us what we are missing?
> >>
> >> Best Regards.
> >> R. Brunetti

> > Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
> > timm at fnal.gov  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
> > Fermilab Scientific Computing Division, Scientific Computing Services
> > Quad.
> > Grid and Cloud Services Dept., Group leader of Grid and Cloud Services
> > Operations.  Lead of FermiCloud Project.

Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 <http://opennebulaconf.com/> in Berlin, 24-26
September, 2013
--
Daniel Molina