[one-users] Self-service Cloud View use case

Olivier Sallou olivier.sallou at irisa.fr
Wed Aug 7 01:15:04 PDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 09:36 AM, Riccardo Brunetti wrote:
> Thanks Steve and Olivier for your prompt reply.
> I will try to follow your suggestions, but I'm still missing a point:
> let's consider this use case (quite common I suppose in a cloud
> provisioning service).
> I have a user who wants 2 VMs, based on a given base image and template,
> and wants them persistent because he needs them to keep the
> modifications after a shutdown.
> The problem is that I can't have 2 instances of the same image if that
> image is marked persistent. On the other hand, if the image is not
> persistent, the user should instantiate the VMs, save them, mark the new
> ones persistent and re-deploy them. This is something that a, let's say,
> "non enough skilled" user can't do easily.
> What it seems to me is missing (or at least I can't find) is something
> like an atomic "clone-in-persistent-and-deploy" mechanism.
I understand what you mean but this indeede require user actions.
Persistence is not the main point in cloud though. Usually, one have to
create scripts to automatically setup the image at startup if he expects
customization, or, as said, manual operations (save as).

Maybe with hooks on shutdown/delete operations you could copy/snapshot
the image disks and create new persistent disks based on those VMs.

Olivier