[one-users] Load Balancing ONE controller

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Fri Aug 2 07:26:54 PDT 2013

Hi Dmitri,

I confirm Simon's statament that you can't do what you're suggesting due to
OpenNebula's cache mechanism.

However, we have recently found out scalability issues for large
deployments, where the xmlrpc server is a bottleneck. In the next
OpenNebula release we will provide configuration parameters to dramatically
improve the xmlrpc server performance, which will probably make it
unnecessary to load-balance the frontend as you described.

Regards,
Jaime

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Simon Boulet <simon at nostalgeek.com> wrote:

> Hi Dmitri,
>
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Dmitri Chebotarov <dchebota at gmu.edu>wrote:
>

>>  Are there any issue with load balancing OpenNebula controller nodes?
>>

> I don't think it's currently possible because oned caches states and
> information directly in memory. If you were to run two instances of oned
> (even if they are connected to the same database) states would become
> inconsistent between the two. One solution would be to have an option in
> OpenNebula to drop caching from oned (and relay on the backend database
> directly).
>
> However I think having a load balanced Sunstone all instances connected to
> the same oned XML-RPC endpoint would work.
>
> Simon

Join us at OpenNebulaConf2013 <http://opennebulaconf.com/> in Berlin, 24-26
September, 2013
--