[one-users] VM hooks and determing which state VM is recovering

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Tue Apr 30 15:47:35 PDT 2013

Hi Carlos

After digging the problem further, my state change problems started
happening after I switched my VM monitoring from the VMM POLL to the new IM
MONITOR VM polling available in 4.0.

It seems :

- VM enters RUNNING state (from PROLOG)
- OpenNebula triggers a VMM POLL action - But I have the VMM POLL action
completely wiped out from my driver and replaced by the IM MONITOR polling.
Monitoring fails (actually my VMM driver ignores the POLL action)
- VM enters UNKNOWN state (from RUNNING)
- Normal IM MONITOR polling occurs, the new VM is detected and returned
with the host monitoring
- VM enters RUNNING state (from UNKNOWN)

In that case, implementing the "FROM" VM_HOOK option will not help (I was
trying to detect that initial "UNKNOWN/RUNNING" state flap when my VMs are
initially deployed).

Perhaps we should look at delaying the first VMM POLL action until the next
time the host the VM is running is monitored?

Of course, another option for my would be restoring my VMM POLL action and
not dropping it out entirely even if it has been replaced by IM MONITOR....

Thanks

Simon