[one-users] Relationship of cpu usages

Carlos Martín Sánchez cmartin at opennebula.org
Fri Apr 26 01:56:35 PDT 2013

Hi there,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Christoph Pleger <
Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I have a new question about that.
> >
> > On http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:kvmg, I read about
> cgroups:
> >
> > "So, thanks to cgroups a VM with CPU=0.5 will get half of the physical
> CPU
> > cycles than a VM with CPU=1.0."
> >
> > How can a second VM get half of the physical CPU cycles of a first VM if
> > the first VM is defined to use 100 % of the CPU cycles?

I'm not that much familiar with cgroups, but the way I understand it the
first VM does not get 100%, it will get 1024 shares out of 1536 (2/3 of cpu
time).

> Does really nobody know that? Or was my question too difficult to
> understand or just too stupid?

Relax buddy, this is a best-effort mailing list, not a commercial support
service.

> By the way, if every cloudnode has 64 cpu cores and a VM is defined to use
> 64 virtual cpus, does for example CPU=0.8 mean 80 percent of one cpu core
> or 80 percent of 64 cpu cores?

It will get allocated 80 from the total of 6400 Host CPU. The number of
virtual CPUs is not related to the real CPU allocated.

Regards

--
Carlos Martín, MSc
Project Engineer