[one-users] openvswitch and brcompat in the post3.3 world

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Fri Sep 21 02:28:13 PDT 2012

Hello,

Well in your defense, brcompat isn't the solution to using openvswitch to
> it's full potential anyways. I think it's better to create the wrapper
> scripts to call ovsctl directly or whatever it's called now.

I completely agree and you both a very good point here. The reason why we
chose to use brcompat instead of directly ovs-vsctl is because
configuration is much simpler. OpenNebula admins would need to change
qemu-if* scripts or the xen network scripts to substitute regular brctl
calls with the equivalent ovs-vsctl calls. It's not too hard, but we
figured that it would be better to simplify it to a maximum.

If at some point the openvswitch team ceases development on brcompatd, or
if opennebula users report that using brcompatd is much worse, we could
always change our strategy and document the necessary step to use open
vswitch without brcompatd.

Cheers,
Jaime

--