[one-users] Virtual Router appliance

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Mon Sep 17 06:10:22 PDT 2012

Hello Andrei,

to modify the keyboard layout, please edit /etc/rc.conf and modify the
"KEYMAP=" entry [1]. For the next update, we will upload it with the
US-en keyboard by default and the possibility to modify it with the
CONTEXT.

When the VM boots, the script located in /usr/share/opennebula/init.rb
[2] is executed. This script configures all the services.

The service that provides DHCP and DNS is dnsmasq [3], so the script
generates the configuration file for dnsmasq: /etc/dnsmasq.conf and it
also configures /etc/resolv.conf.

Dnsmasq provides many options for the DHCP service, you will find in
this script that besides the mac => ip list for all the ips in the
routers private network, it also sets itself as the NTP server
(dhcp-option=42) and DNS server (dhcp-option=4). Regarding the DNS
service, since dnsmasq is providing that service, hosts that have the
router as their nameserver will be able to locate any ip in the
routers /etc/hosts file (it needs a dnsmasq restart after each
modification: /etc/rc.d/dnsmasq restart).

Enabling DHCP in the router's context:
----8<----
# mandatory fields:
TARGET   = "hdb"
PRIVNET  = "$NETWORK[TEMPLATE, NETWORK=\"private_network_name\"]",
TEMPLATE = "$TEMPLATE"

# enables DHCP
DHCP     = "YES|NO"
---->8----

If you need any further modification to the DHCP service I recommend
you modify the "configure_dnsmasq" method [4]

If you need any other specific information please let me know.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KEYMAP (/etc/rc.conf using
the legacy rc.conf format)
[2] https://gist.github.com/3737116#L443
[3] http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html