[one-users] mixed type clusters and MAC persistance

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Sep 7 09:13:41 PDT 2012

Hi Matthew

VM Templates are hypervisor agnostic, sometimes if tuning is required
they can be customized for an hypervisor with the RAW attribute.

However images and, in particular VMware ones, are specific to VMware
and cannot be booted as is in KVM. So if you have a template using a
VMware image, you can safely add the REQUIREMENT statement. Each time
you instantiate the template the VM will have that requirement and it
will run on the desired hypervisor.

Going back to the MAC issue, the MAC address is generated by
OpenNebula and set in the VM NICS (check a running VM, and its NICs)
by virsh or VMware. OpenNebula checks that a MAC is not being used by
any other VM before leasing it. You can define/tune the MAC address
space in the virtual network definition.

Also as mentioned in your email udev can be a pain. We usually remove
all the nic naming rules. If you want that an specific VM always use a
given MAC (for udev, or firewalling rules or whatever), you can
request it in the NIC definition as:

NIC = [ NETWORK="private", MAC="01:02:03:04..."]

Hope it helps

Cheers

Ruben

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Matthew Patton <mpatton at inforelay.com> wrote:
> Just asking a sanity-check question.
>
> If I have both KVM and VMware hosts and not ALL datastores are provided by
> NFS and thus common to all participants then they can't be part of the same
> cluster because when it's time to deploy a VM the source may not be
> available on the intended host? I read that VM templates are generally
> intended to be hypervisor agnostic.
>
> So, is there any way to "steer" a Template or a VM at instantiation time to
> a particular flavor of hypervisor?
> Hmm, apparently there is;
> "http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:template" down near the end of
> the page in the discussion of requirement booleans (REQUIREMENTS =
> "HYPERVISOR=\"vmware\"")
>
> Does anyone use this capability?
>
> When I use 'virsh create' to create a VM, it auto-generates a MAC should it
> not be defined in the specification. Does ONE then do a 'virsh export' to
> find out what MAC address was assigned and then incorporate it into the
> database so that next it will specify it when starting? I know that on RHEL
> derived distros, changing the MAC causes the guest to renumber interfaces.
>
> --
> Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
> InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect