[one-users] mixed type clusters and MAC persistance

Matthew Patton mpatton at inforelay.com
Thu Sep 6 19:19:00 PDT 2012

Just asking a sanity-check question.

If I have both KVM and VMware hosts and not ALL datastores are provided by
NFS and thus common to all participants then they can't be part of the
same cluster because when it's time to deploy a VM the source may not be
available on the intended host? I read that VM templates are generally
intended to be hypervisor agnostic.

So, is there any way to "steer" a Template or a VM at instantiation time
to a particular flavor of hypervisor?
Hmm, apparently there is;
"http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:template" down near the end of
the page in the discussion of requirement booleans (REQUIREMENTS =
"HYPERVISOR=\"vmware\"")

Does anyone use this capability?

When I use 'virsh create' to create a VM, it auto-generates a MAC should
it not be defined in the specification. Does ONE then do a 'virsh export'
to find out what MAC address was assigned and then incorporate it into the
database so that next it will specify it when starting? I know that on
RHEL derived distros, changing the MAC causes the guest to renumber
interfaces.

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)