[one-users] VM description/comment

knawnd at gmail.com knawnd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 01:21:06 PDT 2012

Hi Ruben,

Ruben S. Montero wrote on 17/10/12 14:42:
> Hi
>
> Why not using the name of the VM for this?.....
The name of the VM I would like to use to put hostname in it and perhaps use $NAME in
contextualization as e.g.

CONTEXT=[
   HOSTNAME="$NAME.domain.org" ]

But that would make a sense in case when one could be possible to specify IP address in 'onetemplate
instantiate' command.

> Also if you want to append any arbitrary data to the VM (at creation) you can simply added to the
> VM template as:
>
> DESCRIPTION="this is a web server, use 1234 as root password"
>
> This will be stored in the template ans can be queried with the onevm show command or in the
> Template tab in Sunstone
As far as I understand that will work for a creation of a single VM but won't if I need to create a
bunch of VMs with help of 'onetemplate instantiate' command.
Is there any way to modify certain deployed VM's config to add arbitrary data like e.g. DESCRIPTION
field (something like 'onevm update')?
Moreover, in my opinion it's not convenient to parse the output of 'onevm show' command when I need
to get a list of all VMs e.g. what have a word "web" in its description. It would be more convenient
to have a separate column for that as I wrote before. But probably to do that there is a need to
modify DB schema which is not desirable I guess.

Regards,
Nikolay.