[one-users] VNETs & VLAN

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Wed Oct 10 09:25:31 PDT 2012

> Let's assume a standard configuration with 2 networks: public and internal.
> - Is possibile to configure multiple filtering types on the same cloud
> and on the same virtual instance?
> (ebtable for public, vlan/openvswitch for the internal)

Virtual Network drivers are defined per host and not per network (in
fact some of the technologies do not play together quite well, e.g.
iptables and ovswitch, when used in the same host)

You can however define different clusters with different network
technology  for the hosts, and then associated viertual networks to
each cluster (public network to cluster public) Note that VMs will not
be able to use both networks at the same time.

In your specific case, I think you can simply not set the VLAN
attribute in the public network template this will bypass the vlan
processing in 802.1Q and ovswith drivers

> I'm asking this because I would like to avoid a public vlan for each
> customers on the public side (this will need a router reconfiguration
> every time, to add the proper gateway on the same broadcast domain of
> customer in each vlan)
>
> - Is possibile, for a customer, to create a sort of PVLAN where a part
> of its internal network will be isolated from other virtual machines
> (same customer and same vlan). For example, let's assume that
> customer1 has 5 VPS: vps1, vps2...vps5.
> VPS1 should communicate only with VPS4 in a sort of custom vlan. I
> have a VLAN, on private side, for each customers and I would like to
> give customers the capability  to create some communication groups.

I'd recommend to take a look to the virtual appliance router, simply
add a virtual with a NIC in both networks

http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.8:router

> - Accounting: on which frequency accounting data are saved on DB? This
> is much important for us, as we will use this to invoice customers.
> Will be possibile to touch the real number of seconds that an instance
> was ON  and the real number of seconds that an instance was paused but
> with data still present on the node (no cpu/ram utilization but only
> disk utilization)

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect