[one-users] OpenNebula 3.8 Beta Released!

Tino Vazquez tinova at opennebula.org
Tue Oct 9 07:50:24 PDT 2012

Dear OpenNebula users,

The OpenNebula project is proud to announce the availability [1] of
the beta release of OpenNebula 3.8 (Twin Jet).

OpenNebula 3.8 enhances the integration with VMware and KVM, which are
the most widely used hypervisors in OpenNebula clouds, and with
heterogeneous infrastructures using multiple hypervisors.

Twin Jet features (for more details, please refer to the release notes
[2] or the feature set page [3]):

  * Improved storage VMware interface with native support for VMFS.
  * Integration with cgroups and SPICE on KVM deployments.
  * Integration with the new Virtual Router in the OpenNebula marketplace [4].
  * Enhancements to the EC2 Query API server:
     * Complete implementation of the Elastic Block Store (EBS).
     * Support for keypairs.
  * New additions to the OCCI cloud API:
     * New VM actions
     * Hotplugging functionality.

Finally, OpenNebula 3.8 extends actions in the virtual machine
life-cycle to enhance robustness and integration capabilities, and
brings new features in the Sunstone and Self-service portals. More
details in the documentation page [5].

An important effort has been made to synchronize the packaging format
used by the OpenNebula project and those used by the Linux
distributions. We hope that this will make even more easier to get and
set OpenNebula up and running.

With this beta release, OpenNebula Twin Jet enters feature freeze and
we’ll concentrate on fixing bugs and smoothing some rough edges. This
release is aimed at testers and developers to try the new features.

We are looking forward to your feedback, crucial in order to improve
OpenNebula and tailor it for its users needs. We would like to take
this opportunity to give a big thumbs up to our community, thanking
them broadly for their support and their work, without which this
release would have not been possible.

Have twice the fun with Twin Jet,

The OpenNebula Team

* [1] Downloads: http://downloads.opennebula.org/