[one-users] Datastore choice + Scenario

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Thu Oct 4 14:07:17 PDT 2012

Hi Rodolfo

Yes  you email was posted in the right place ;)

Some thoughts, inlined....

> My main concern is, is it possible to have multiple datastore types inside
> the cluster (like adding future nodes to act as storage or any other NAS/SAN
> device?)
> Is there a good way to use this set up looking for future upgrades in terms
> of resources?

Yes it is possible to have multiple storage backends, that was the
main reason to introduce the datastore abstraction.

In order to ease the upgrade to add more datastores (even of the same
type, e.g. you buy a new NAS server and want to use both NFS
datastores), I'd recommend not to mount/export the whole
var/lib/one/datastore/ directory, but just the each datastore
directory individually.

For example if you have an image datastore (e.g. 100), export
/var/lib/one/datastore/100 in your NFS server (that directory will be
the datastore storage area) and mount that under
/var/lib/one/datastore/100 in the hosts. For 3.6, do not mount it
elsewhere and link it there (there is a bug solved in 3.8). And the
same for the system datastore 0 (take a look at this picture [1]).
Note that the system datastore only needs to be added to the hosts
that run VMs.

[1] http://opennebula.org/_detail/documentation:rel3.4:fs_shared.png?id=documentation%3Arel3.6%3Afs_ds

> *Other point, the other reason i am asking in which one to use is: Is it
> possible to extend the created LVs on the fly without compromising the
> running instance?
> Regarding that performance is not a big concern right now.

This would need some hacking, Take a look at

http://lists.opennebula.org/pipermail/users-opennebula.org/2012-September/020357.html

> I hope I was a little bit concise in here. :)
> I am stuck in a crossroad in which datastore type to use and any advice,
> insight or tip would be very welcome and very helpful!

For your simple setup I'd recommend to go for the FS datastore, using
NFS. The details in the documentation should be enough to set up this
[2,3], but come back if you need more help

[2] System datastore: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:system_ds
[3] FS Datastore: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel3.6:fs_ds

Good Luck

Best

Ruben

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Ruben S. Montero, PhD
Project co-Lead and Chief Architect