[one-users] Accessing VM logs when running SunstoneServer on a separate frontend server

Ruben S. Montero rsmontero at opennebula.org
Fri Nov 16 02:41:56 PST 2012

Hi Simon

You are totally right, the sunstone server expects to access the log files
directly through the file system.  Initially, we thought about exposing
this through the API but:
  - Serving the log files could impose quite an overload to the core
  - Log files are more interesting for admins and they would have access to
the files by any other mean
  - Users need to know what happened to the VM in case of errors, so we
added an ERROR attribute to the VM template so they are notified of error.
Most of the other information (state, monitoring) are obtained through the
XML-RPC API.

If you want to move the sunstone server to other machine, which is totally
possible and wise for large deployments, you may (in the short term):

  - Live with logs not available through sunstone (i.e. previous
assumptions make sense for you)
  - As you suggest export them through NFS (only the logs)

Using syslog as logger for opennebula daemon (that could send its log to a
centralized server) is a good idea indeed. I've just filled an issue for
this [1] and we'll try to schedule to 4.0, let see...

Thanks for your Feedback!

Ruben

[1] http://dev.opennebula.org/issues/1658