[one-users] Accessing VM logs when running SunstoneServer on a separate frontend server

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Thu Nov 15 19:35:10 PST 2012

Hi,

I am running oned on a backend server, and Sunstone on a frontend server
connecting to the oned RPC API. Everything works great so far, but, I
noticed Sunstone is always returning "Log for VM x not available" when
clicking the VM Log tab of a Virtual Machine.

Digging the problem further I ended looking at the get_vm_log()
function in sunstone/models/SunstoneServer.rb:203.
It seems Sunstone is trying to read logs locally by looking into
/var/log/one, which of course doesn't exist of my frontend server (only on
my backend server).

Do you have any plans to make the log remotely available (through a One RPC
API call perhaps) or do you have any recommendations?

I thought perhaps exporting /var/log/one from the backend to the frontend
through a network file system (such as NFS).

Or is it possible to send oned logs to syslog instead? Perhaps then I could
rewrite the Sunstone get_vm_log() to get the logs from a remote syslog
server (or use an hosted log service such as Loggly).

Thanks

Simon