[one-users] using PXE to boot xen hvm

Nicolas AGIUS nicolas.agius at lps-it.fr
Tue Nov 6 06:02:35 PST 2012

Hi,

Here, we are using a home-made PXE script that create partitions and do a bootstrap of a standard OS (Debian and Centos). Then all package install and configuration is done by CFengine.

SystemRescueCD is a good choice, and easily PXE bootable, but we had some trouble with it, especially with odd hardware ( unrecognized NIC or RAID controler.)

A few years ago, I used partimage. It work well and consume less space than a simple dd.
Also, using IPMI over LAN could be interesting to manage hardware servers as virtual machines.

Although a configuration manager like CFengine or Puppet is mandatory
for a cloud, I think it's out of scope for integration in OpenNebula. Deploy a custom image, OS independant,  (with the same system as vm?) seems to be a simple way and facilitate integration with existing infrastructure.

Cheers,
Nicolas AGIUS

PS: We are using Centos 5 for Xen hosts, with backported kernel from SUSE, because openSUSE life-cycle is really too short for us.