[one-users] using PXE to boot xen hvm

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Mon Nov 5 15:19:59 PST 2012

Hello Steve,

This is a very interesting email, mainly because one of the upcoming
features we want to deliver with the next release of OpenNebula is
integration with bare metal provisioning systems. So, I'd like to take this
opportunity to ask for more opinions from the community about this feature.
So, a few questions for the community:
- Do you have a favourite PXE installation system you want to see
OpenNebula integrated with
- Is there any specific feature of the bare metal provision system you'd
like to see addressed?
- Do you have any ideas / suggestions about this?

For the moment, let me describe you what we do internally at OpenNebula to
address this problem.

- Manually install the bare metal system (once) and configure it:
  - network dhcp
  - remove persistent udev rules
  - configure hypervisor
  - oneadmin user, ruby, and the rest of opennebula dependencies
  - add SSH keys
  - etc
- Restart the server and boot from system rescue cd [1]
- Backup the system installation by doing 'dd|gzip' of the disk drive over
NFS to our NAS

Once that's ready we deploy with a small webapp internally developed
utility that does the following:
- the webapp configures the tftpboot so that the server will boot a system
rescue cd over pxe
- once when the system rescue boots it automatically executes an autorun
script [2] that is dynamically served by http by the webapp wich contains
the command to  dump the backed up image to the disk. (I'm happy to share
more configuration specific details)

As you can see this has a few shortcomings, the most important one being
that we aren't using kickstarts, basically because we want to cover all the
OS.

And answering your question about what do we use for Xen, we are currently
using openSUSE since it has an out-of-the-box support for Xen which makes
life a lot easier.

[1] http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
[2]
http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Run_your_own_scripts_with_autorun